Thursday, June 4, 2009
7
Stereotypes have been used to characterized people for decades whether its based on race and or appearance. Even though some of us believe its wrong we do it all the time without even knowing. We look at a person and we automatically make a list in our head of who the person is and what we think their capable of. For instance people look at me and think I’m a poser because I’m a cheerleader who loves the color black. Already in their minds they have what society says a cheerleader is suppose to look like; preppy, popular, stuck up, sometimes unintelligent, and wears pink or another prissy color. People look at me as a cheerleader an aspect me to fall under those characteristics and when they see I’m nothing like that and have a love for the color black they think I’m pretending to be something I’m not. Black is my favorite color ,and I love to listen to rock or alternative rock. Those who know this about me and don’t know me have in their I’m emo or Goth. It’s impossible to like something without falling in a category society has placed us under. The harder I try to prove or show who I really am as a person the more I’m criticized and fall deeper under their stereotypes. I realize there is nothing that I can , society will always place me under a specific class based on who they think I am , but not who ill make myself to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment