My 86-year old grandmother told me she’d always wanted to “blaze up a fat one.” I think that’s what pushed Mom over the edge about this move. So we packed up and left all our problems behind in Virginia and moved to L.A. Even though that was when I was twelve the memory still burned in my head like it was yesterday. With it was the memory of losing my dad. I remember standing on my tippee toes trying to see in the casket. Five years later here I am still short for my age. In lovely L.A. I believe this was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have my best friend Linda- a total drama queen, who only dated preps , and suggested that I do the same. Even though Linda is my number one lover, my best buddy who could easily put Balto , Lassie and Beethoven to rest is my Norfolk Terrier , Puka. My mom got me him shortly after we moved and ever since then he’s always been by my side. My seventeenth birthday was only three weeks away and I couldn’t wait! I was so over being sixteen that it hurt. Now I live in this classic Victorian three-story house. My life was nothing less than a fairy tale, I could be on MTV “The fabulous life of Janine Adams”- Sike! Who was I kidding? My life was okay but nothing fabulous. I opened my eyes and glared outside my window at Andy’s house. His house was just as big as mine but, his parents had way more money. Andy was the lead singer of his band “Plain t’s and Girls.” Which drove my mom crazy around the hours of 3pm to 12am everyday and sometimes weekends. His parents are as gothic as they come but he was a smiling blonde hair kid with rosy red cheeks and unhappy blue eyes. He reminded me of Edward Cullen from Twilight. He was tall , slender and had some sort of dark look to him. “My sweet Edward” I whispered to my self. My mother’s voice woke me from my trance. “Tell Andy to give it a rest! Please Nina!” Awesome! I thought to my self now I have a reason to be clumsy in person as if private wasn’t enough! I stumbled downstairs and outside. The wind whisked in all different directions knotting my hair. I crossed the street and made it to Andy’s house without falling. When he noticed I was coming in his direction he smiled. “Hey Nina” called to me , nearly stopping my heart. His velvet voice made the blood rise from my feet to my cheeks and then he smiled again at the sign of making me blush. He was playing alone this time, wearing his usual rugged ripped jeans and a T-shirt. Silence came between us , he broke the silence “ So can I help you Nina-bobina?” A lump began to form in my chest “ Err, yes….my mom says can you “not go deaf” which means keep it down please.” He looked at the floor as if he was disappointed with my answer. I studied his face and could see nothing. “Cool beans” he replied with a smile. “Ok thanks,” I said walking back to my house. “What ever happened to that Ron guy?” I cringed at the sound of my ex’s name “We broke up, he’s with Amy Congemi now,” I said as I watched him strum his guitar. “Sucks for him” he said pushing his gorgeous blond hair away from his eyes. “Why?” I asked suspiciously. He began to strum his guitar again and close his eyes as if he could see the tunes coming out. “He’s missing out on a lot” he mumbled I could feel my face becoming hot again. He looked up and smiled at my embarrassment. “What you doing tonight?” he asked. My heart began to race at an alarming speed “Nothing it’s a school night,” I replied trying to keep my voice from shaking. He looked confused “No it’s not. We have two weeks off remember?” I began to rub my temples. Wow I’m suck a dork! He must have noticed my thoughts on my face. He started to laugh “It okay Bobina. Don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s a classic mistake.” he assured me. “So your free then?” I nodded , afraid to let anymore stupid words slide out my mouth. “Cool beans. Meet me here at 2am okay?” “What? 2am?” I blurted out. “And how am I suppose to get out my house at 2am?” He gave me a look as if the answer was obvious “What’s the big deal?- oh forgot your moms the warden.” I made a face at his words “ Not funny!” “Okay I’ sorry. Just keep window open when you’re ready, and I’ll do the rest.” I tried to refuse but his eyes were so kind and I trusted him completely. At 2:05 I slid my window open and jumped back in bed awaiting Andy’s plan . Within minutes Andy climbed in making a thud as he hit the floor. I could still hear my moms snoring so the thud hadn’t woken her. Andy walked over to my bed while gazing at his surroundings “Nice threads” he said as he sat on my bed. “ Thanks. But I’m curious, how are we going to get out of here ? And where are we going-” Andy cut in “You ask so many questions. Just wait and see.” Even as he whispered his voice retained its velvetiness. “Okay” Suddenly he picked me up and placed me on his back and proceeded to climb out the window. I felt like a damsel in distress being rescued by her Prince charming. He wouldn’t put me down till we made it safely across the street to his house. He grabbed my hand and led me into his house. When we stepped inside I was instantly amazed. His house deserved to be on MTV cribs. The marble counter, leather seats and spiraling stair case it was all so gorgeous. “ I hope you don’t mind us coming here. You just seemed really stressed about going out. So being here is like meeting you half way.” I just smiled. Not because of what he said but because we was rubbing my hand. I felt like silly putty in his hands. He smiled back and led me up stairs to the last door in the hallway “His room”, I said to myself. If Linda knew she would gag at the thought of me taking interest in Andy. Though she was my best friend my long heart felt crush was just something I could only share with Puka. As I walked inside his room it was better than I dreamed of. Andy had posters of bands I’ve never even heard of all over his wall and some of himself and his band. “Nice thread” I said in a mocking tone. He smiled and plopped down on his queen size bed. I notice a telescope standing right near the window facing my house. “spying on me?” I said with a smile.
“Why not. You watch me all the time through your window.” My heart stopped and I forgot how to breath. I felt a number of emotions crowd my thoughts. But I couldn’t speak a word. He sat up and pulled me on to the bed beside him. “Can I ask you something Janine?” I was stunned. He never called me by my full name before. No one did. I nodded at his request. “If you like me, why didn’t you just tell me instead of going peeping tom on me?” My mouth felt dry as I try to form words “ I didn’t mean to spy on you Andy” I whispered. He took my chin in his hands “Its okay, its much more fun to spy on you back” he chuckled. He wrapped his arms around me and my face went hot again. “Janine can I kiss you?” Before I could answer his lips were pressed against mine parting them with his tongue. My lips began moving with his as I ran my fingers through his hair. I felt the pressure of his chest against mine. I began to panic he was such a great kisser. I was praying I didn’t mess up and bite his tongue. He pulled back and laid back on his bed pulling me down with him. I snuggled in to his shirt hoping this moment would last forever. I woke up around nine except I wasn’t t in Andy’s room. I woke up in my pink canopy bed with a note attacked to my chest:
Dear JanineGosh you sleep like a log! You don’t know how hard it was to carry you all the way back up to you room! I felt like I was hiding a dead body! But anyway ummm…yea! Andy was here!--Cool beans kid see you soon-AndyA smile stretched across my face. Only Andy! About two hours later Linda showed up. And as always she had some drama going on in her life. Which I really didn’t care for. As she went on about her new boy toy. I gazed out the window to see Andy staring at me with a huge smile on his face. I smiled back and kept gazing at him. As he sang some kind of punk rock death metal song , which sounded like screaming the singing. Then he began to play a song that wasn’t familiar to me. He smiled again “Our song.” I couldn’t stop smiling the song was top amazing for words. I knew then that I was falling in love with Andy. Only trouble could come from this. “Oyo’ chick what’s this?” Linda shacks the letter from Andy I forgot to hide in my face. “You dealing with that Goth Kidd?” I sighed. “Linda It’s not like that-” “Then what s it like?” Andy voice caught me off guard as he climbed into my bed room. “So Nina what’s going on?” I couldn’t believe I was placed in such a dilemma. My Best friend or my could be Boyfriend? I really liked Andy and finally I had a chance to be with him, but Linda would never approve. She only wanted me to date the White collar preps. But they were nothing compare to Andy. “So you do like him? Well this ends now! Me Or your little emo boyfriend-” “Up yours Barbie!” Andy blurted out. “But The bitch is right. We need to know what’s going on.” Who knew so much drama would come from me going on the other side of the street. “Nina , you’ve been my bestie since like forever. Your going to make him come between us?” “Linda please!” I screamed. Andy stared at me hopelessly. “I know you feel the same way I feel about you. These past few nights have been amazing. Especially last night.”Linda stepped in between us. And knocked Andy over onto my bed. “What happened last night?” Andy flashed a devilish smile at Linda. “Hmm Wouldn’t you like to known” Linda glared at Andy then at me. “Janine I know you didn’t lose your virginity to this, thing.” Linda’s voice no longer sounded angry it sounded hurt , disappointed and betrayed. While Andy voice just held surprise. “You’re a virgin !? Wahoo I didn’t see that coming.” My emotions went flaring in every direction. I couldn’t lose Linda or Andy they both brought so much to my life. But if I didn’t do something I was going to lose somebody. “Look, I care about both of you guys. Andy I love how you make me feel. , I love our song , I love spending time with you, but most of all I think I love you. And Linda I love your enormous mouth , your passion for gossip and boys , and I love how much you care about me. I know your only looking out for me but this is were my heart stands and , he holds it well. I just want you both to realize that I care about you both; you can share me equally .” Linda and Andy both stared at each other for a second then back at me. Then Andy spoke “I love you too.” my blood began to rise. Linda walked toward me and gave me a hug. “I’m so sorry. If you really like him then ill stand beside you a 100% what else are best friends for?” She began to squeeze me again when Andy joined him “I’m sorry too Bobina.” There he stood for about 10 minutes hugged up till my Mom busted in wondering how and why Andy was standing in my room holding me and Linda. Linda made up so bogus story and it bought us some time. Linda and I remained friends and she learned to love Andy and I relationship. Andy and I continue dating life was history from then on. Since then my life was complete I had the rocker boyfriend , the prep bestfriend and Puka didn’t mind Andy too much. Life was sweet and no other problems came from the other side of the street.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment